Monday, May 27, 2013

THE FIRST BLACK SUPERMODEL, NAOMI SIMS

I've had the pleasure in visiting Oxford, Mississippi and I have to say, I haven't had the notion to go back. So, to much to my surprise, I found out that one of my favorite of all time fashion models was born there, I couldn't believe it, she is not only draped in beauty and grace, she is of the darker hue of the African American race and in this day she wouldn't made as many covers of fashion magazines as she did in the lat e 60's. Her name is Naomi Sims and she has been credited to be the first black supermodel. She was 5'10 at age 13 and was of course teased by classmates. Her mother moved her and her three sisters to Pittsburgh, Penn where she was forced to put Naomi in to foster care. She won a scholarship to the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, while there she did some modeling for a few agencies. She wasn't able to get much work since her skin was "Too Dark," So, she decided to go directly to a photographer for the NY times, she was put on the cover of the fashion segment of the paper. Despite this amazing breakthrough, she still found it difficult to get work, she decided to break a deal with former model Wilhelmina Cooper, she would send out copies of the Times supplement to advertising agencies with Coopers number, and Wilhelmina would get commission fro the bookings. What most impresses me about this, is she never let anything hold her back, her circumstances were dyer and she still kept striving, all while being in her teens. I know that it is cliche to say this...Never give up on your dreams, because you not only will reach them, you may be the first at something that will leave a legacy.





No comments:

Post a Comment