Monday, July 22, 2013

The LimeLight district...

I have not always been a flower lover. I, like most ladies enjoy getting them as sentiment from others, but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd enjoy growing flowers in a garden. I've actually become quit the knowledgeable one when it comes to different species of flowers. Most of the world loves hydrangeas, but did you know that there are over 70 types of hydrangeas? The originals are native to southern and Eastern Asia ( China, Japan, Korea). 

We grow 7 different types on our property. But, the one that shows out like it's competing in a pageant is the PeeGee Limelight. Bred in Holland, the bloom is mostly a soft lime green with a white base. It is very striking, it loves full sun to light shade. It is able to get 10' tall. It is deciduous, so you will have to cut it back and wait for it to come back in early summer.

If you are truly interested in having a hydrangea garden, visit Gene Griffith and Elizabeth Dean at the Wilkerson Mill Gardens, in Palmetto, Ga. They will educate you on every type and tell you where to plant according to your landscape. hydrangea.com
This is my favorite on in our garden, It is over 7 feet tall.



This one is on the side of our house, in a tad bit more shade, it's almost 9 feet tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment